Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Burn the posers!


Have you ever tried telling a joke to someone who was def, and could only lip read in another language than the one you spoke? Probably not! I think we can all agree that the effort would be wasted, and both parties would be none the richer- so why even try!

Keeping this in mind todays little piece of my mind may come as a bit of a surprise, because the ones who would benifit the most from reading it are the ones who have yet to do their first CrossFit WoD, or have very recently stumbled through the doors of some box, and begun their journey into the light of CrossFit, constantly varied functional movement executed at high intensity, and all that this entails! This is for all of you, even though I doubt that you will find my blog in time to read this!
I actually had my doubts if I should write this, but then I remembered that I told my son that I loved him, long before he was capable of comprehending any kind of language- Sometimes you just have to share the love:-)

It has happened on more than one occation that people have come into our box, and been completely oblivious to the most rudementary components of ie an airsquat, even though they claim have been doing CrossFit for a while! At first I assumed that some kind of misunderstanding had occured and that they had been doing something other than CrossFit, and that they had simply chosen to drink their Kool Aid from another cup- and therefore chosen a generic brand!
Every once in a while this was the case, and of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with having done something else than CrossFit, it could even turn out to be beneficial to you in your endevours into CrossFit!
However! It has hapened more than once and way too often to be a coincidence that people have insisted that they did CrossFit, yet had the skill level of a soccer player ( I know a bunch and they are not apt in much else than soccer- but since they make so much cash I dont think they care- you know who you are) in even the simplest movements! How could this be?

The truth is that there are a bunch of people outthere who claim to be doing CrossFit, but they lack even the simplest understanding of CrossFit and the most common movements! But they have watched the videos and seen a workout of two, and genuinly believe that this qualifies them to teach CrossFit to others!

I am about to work up a serious steem here, so before I go nuts and begin dropping names and websites left and right, allow me to make the obvious even more obvious!

- Would you go to a dentist whose only reference was that he had a few teeth of his own, and a brand new wrench?

- Would you let someone with no understanding of cars, repair your favorite car- just because they had a drivers licence?

- Would you get on a plane flown by someome whose only credentials were that he had 1 000 000 000 frequent flyer miles?

- Would you eat medicine produced by someone whose only qualification was that he had taken Advil at some point?

Needless to say you would never turn to any of these people- so dont turn to someone without proper CrossFit training to train CrossFit! Ask to see the CrossFit certification? Look on CrossFit.com to see if the box/gym is affiliated? Ask where your trainer trains, and with whom... Basically do your background check, to see that you are getting the quality you deserve! It will save you time and money at the same time as it just may save you a bunch of injuries suffered from doing functional movements completely wrong!

I could ramble on forever about why you deserve the best possible introduction into CrossFit, but like with everything else in life- my motives are purely for my own benefit! I just want to be able to sleep at night knowing that no madmen are out there destroying what CrossFit stands for with their incompetence!

Whether you descide to love or hate CrossFit is entirely up to you, but whatever your decision is, you should be given the chance to make that decision based on actual exposure to CrossFit, and not on some lunatics interpretation of what they guess, it could be!

If you are going to do it, do it right!

Much love

1 comment:

You make loving fun said...

I love the soccer reference, but why so angry?

Anna