Monday, December 13, 2010

How do YOU coach an athlete?

Before we get into the deep end of the pool and begin discussing how you coach an athlete, and how you like to be coached, I would like to define what I mean by athlete, and what I mean by coaching?

In this context I will consider an athlete pretty much anyone you will find in your box. Whether the athlete is at a level where he/she wants to compete in the Games, or if he/she is on route to performing their first air squat without looking like a train wreck, really does not matter here today- they are all athletes!
So whether you are about to call Dave Castro to give him an inside tip on the next years winner of the Games, or if you are about to call a medic to pick up the human debris that is left after this person has performed the simplest movements- it really does not matter- they are both athletes in this context!

Coaching! When talking about coaching I am simply referring to the process of guiding and giving advice to any given athlete on how to perform better! I am not talking about making up ellaborate plans for future goals! I am talking about how you coach right now!

So lets get started!

I have had the pleassure of meeting a lot of very gifted CrossFit coaches, and been blessed with the opportunity to be trained by them in all kinds of enviroments. There have been 1 on 1 sessions, classes, and workshops, there have been competition like situations and just playing around trying to work on things that would probably never be used again!
What I have found however is that there is a certain kind of coach that always seems to give me sense that I am taking a little extra something with me from the workout. It can be a technical pinpoint that has made me move better! An insigt into the complexity of a movement that has helped me understand said movement better! Or just a comment that has helped me push through the WoD when I was about to fold and call it a day! Whatever it may be there is always that sense of having been a part of something bigger than a workout!


A couple of examples of coaches like that are inevidable, so here comes the ass kissing:

Karl Steadman- This man has a way of seeing/understanding movements better than anyone I have ever had the pleassure of training with! He knows immidiately where the problem in the movement is, and with very subtle instructions he makes me move better just like that! He never brings out the sledge hammer and shreds everything I do to pieces! Instead he makes me move better in degrees, beginning with the obvious, and then moving down the line, leaving the detail work until all the gross mechanics are in place!
He is a wizard and if you ever get the chance to watch him work, or be coached by him- do yourself a favor and take it!


Martin Altemark- Unfortunately I dont get to spend as much time with him as I would like to, but I know that if I did, a bunch of my old PB's would be in serious danger. He has a way of always making me work a bit harder than I originally intended, without pushing me into the proverbial wall and into the arms of Pukie! Still, without going that far he always motivates and focusses on taking the WoD on step further! It is a quality lost on many, and I wish he could write a book about what it is he does- I think a lot of us would buy it!

So what is it that makes these guys such excellent coaches? The answer is simply that they make me a better athlete, which is exactly what I am striving to become! I will go as far as to say that that is what we should all strive towards! If it is not your goal, please stop reading and go back to focussing on the latest bicep curl blaster extravaganza in the globo gym magazines!
Sorry got carried away there:-)

But there are other coaches outthere who are the exact opposite, and they too have produced fantastic results with their athletes! How could that possibly be? Could it be that there is more than one way to being a fantastic coach? Could it be that you get your thrills and motivation in the exact opposite way that I do, and still you evolve?

Of course there is more than one side to the coin, and of course different things rock your boat and make you a better athlete! The big question is what we do with that discovery? Do we gravitate towards the coaches whom we feel hit all the right spots and leave the others to themselves, ignoring that they have also reached their goals with their athletes, or do we embrace these coaches as well and pick what we can use and discard what we cant use?


My answer would be to do just that! Find some coaches whom you can relate to, and who give you the sense of always evolving and improving, and spend 95% of your time working with them! But you should also try to train with some coaches whom you find to be the opposite, and maybe not quite your first hand choice- there just may be some really brilliant advice just lying around just begging to be discovered there too!

On the coaches side of the house there is also some soul searching to be done! You need to spend time with other coaches, watching them teach, training with them in order to evolve as a coach. If you dont, you easily fall into the trap of becomming a "one-trick-pony" and when that happens you have limited yourself and virtually every single athlete you work with! Dont be afraid to learn from other coaches! It is the only way to evolve, and who knows- maybe one day you will be able to help all athletes, no matter how they click and what they need to become better athletes- Would'nt that be something!

So my question is this! Who is your favorite coach and why, and what do you do to become a better coach?

Much love

9 comments:

marcusherou said...

I love coaches that with a few gestures can give you a raw and fundamental understanding of timing. My first and best Karateteacher was like that. Think Mike Burgener and you know what I mean. To be able to express the timing of a high kick with just your hands you need to be very experienced and you were probably quite an athlete yourself in your prime. Not the best perhaps but good. Chances are that you were one of the most technical but perhaps not the best physical due to your nature in wanting to understand the mechanics of things.

Still searching for this coach in CF. Such a young sport so most of us are self taught and quite frankly inexperienced. I dont know you good enough yet but i'd say you have a lot of those things I'm searching for.

Jonna said...

If I had to choose, my favorite coach would be the one that makes me feel like a better athlete, that can modify the workout to suit my needs and still don't make me feel like the half-performing athlete I am those days and the one that also leaves me feeling pretty good about myself afterwards.

On the otherhand, being totally torn apart techniqewise can be pretty productive (although I prefer this kind of coaching to be rather infrequent, since it leaves me feeling pretty miserable and like a total novis to training...)

I have had the pleasure of working together with a lot of great coaches through the years and you Mads would be the one I've known the longest (10 years is it?). Having watched you evolve, even more dramatically after having hooked up with HQ, has been extremely inspiring and has made me both a better athlete and for certain - a better coach!

Unknown said...




I was told i had Genital Herpes six months ago. of course it was the worst experience ever and i thought my life was over. So i went online to find things i can do from prevent getting outbreaks and maybe even cure this. I found someones story and how it possibly cured him. ive only had once outbreak which was the first one and i havent had another in six months. This is what i did! Vitamin D one tablet 3x a day, Vitamin C one tablet 3x a day, L-Lysine one tablet 3x a day.You can also take tea tree one tablet 3x a day, everynight after a shower i clean my lower back and make sure its nice & clean i add DSMO cream Mix with 8 drops of oregano and put it on your lower back. The DSMO cream is the one ive heard that can possibly cure it so that is the most important, im soon going to get tested again and im praying to God it comes out negative. I am very happy, that is why i am here to testify on how Dr PETER helped me and how he has help people that i have directed to him, i am not shy to broadcast about how i suffered of HERPES disease because i am free now, i was positive for 3 years but now i am HERPES Negative now with the help of Dr PETER Herbal Medicine. My dear friends, i am glad to say Dr PETER cured me and made my family happy again. he can cure any disease or sickness so i advice you to contact him if you have any problem you can contact him today via Email: (ayokospellcaster@gmail.com or ayokospellcaster@gmail.com) or call +2348132537313 whatsapp or call

ODUCKAYAMUD said...






HOW I GET MY HERPES CURED WITHIN 8 DAYS

I want every herpes patient to please read my testimony, my name is FLORA RUFER am from California in USA, I contacted genital herpes from my ex boyfriend who never had any symptoms. I have had it for 4 months now., and it has affected my life. I have told my boyfriends who I trusted about it and I have never had a bad reaction, it has affected my new relationships with penny and people think herpes is really a minor skin irritation herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. Most people have herpes in one form or another. I would like to advise people on how I get rid of my herpes and I was reading a comment on the internet,and I saw a testimony posted by a woman from island that she get rid of her herpes with the help of doctorODUCK AYAMUD and so I was so happy when I saw that post, that his herbal medication is free and I quickly collected the herbal doctor email and I email him within 5 hr he respond to my email and I explain things to him he told me not to worry that I should fill his herbal form wish I did and he only request for little money that he will use to buy the items for the preparation of the herbal medicine, wish I send to him because the pain was too much for me to bear and after some days he told me that he has prepare the herbal medicine, that I should send him my address that he want to sent it to me via DHL or FED-EX that was how I got the herbal medication and I use it as I was told and after few days I found out that my herpes was no more and when some of my friend who has herpes saw me they were surprise and I also introduce them to the man and they are also cure from the same herpes and if you have herpes, kindly contact DR ODUCK AYAMUD via this email:oduckayamud49@yahoo.com OR oduckayamud49@gmail.com .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS........ THIS MAN'S MEDICATION IS 100% EFFECTIVE AND ACTIVE .... CONTACT HIM TODAY VIA THIS EMAIL ADDRESS: oduckayamud49@yahoo.com OR oduckayamud49@gmail.com .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS... so you can be happy again....YOU CAN ALSO ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP USING THIS MOBILE NUMBER:+2347059232579

HOW I GOT BACK MY EX said...




My life is back!!! After 8 years of marriage, my husband left me and left me with our three kids. I felt like my life was about to end, and was falling apart. I contacted you and after I explained you my problem. In just 24hours, my husband came back to us and show me and my kids much love and apologize for all the pain he have bring to the family. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before DR ODUCK AYAMUD you are the best spell caster i really appreciate the love spell you casted for me to get the man back to my life i will keep sharing more testimonies to people about your good work Thank you once again DR ODUCK AYAMUD at: oduckayamud49@yahoo.com OR oduckayamud49@gmail.com .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS TO CONTACT HIM incase you are in any problem you can contact this man for help he is always there in his temple to help you solve your problem Contact Email is: oduckayamud49@yahoo.com OR oduckayamud49@gmail.com .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS TO CONTACT HIM. CONTACT HIM TODAY VIA THIS EMAIL ADDRESS: oduckayamud49@yahoo.com OR oduckayamud49@gmail.com .... YOU CAN USE ANY OF THE EMAILS TO CONTACT HIM AS HIS POWERS ARE SO STRONG AND VERY EFFECTIVE AND HAS NO BAD EFFECT INSTEAD IT HAVE A VERY GOOD RESULT AFTER CASTING THE SPELL.... YOU CAN ALSO CALL / ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP USING THIS MOBILE NUMBER:+2347059232579

Linda said...

Hello everyone . After being in a relationship with Anderson for years, broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, wanted him back because of the love I have for him, I begged everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should contact a caster of spells that could help me cast a spell to bring him back, but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice but to try, I contacted, the caster of spells, and he told me that there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he released the love spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was about 4 p. m. My ex called me, I was so surprised, and answered the call and all he said was that he was sorry for everything that happened that he wanted to return to me, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how we started living together happily again. Since then I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem it would be helpful to that person if i recommend him, as the only sorcerer, real and powerful that helped me with my own problem. His email: unemespellben@gmail.com you can send an e-mail or whatsapp +2348143813120 if you need his assistance in your relationship or in any other cases like.

1) love Spell
2) Spell lost love
3) Spells divorce
4) Spells of marriage
5) Spell binding
6) Spells of break
7) Banish a lover past.
8.) You want to be promoted in your office
9) you want to satisfy your lover
contact this great man if you have a problem for a lasting solution Through Email: {unemespellben@gmail.com} or whatsapp +2348143813120
blog: https://unemespellben.blogspot.com

Mr Bentley said...

Hello greetings to everyone on this great forum today I am very happy to share my testimony with you all. Am Bentley from United Kingdom, am a part-time worker, this is a story of my love life. I have been married for 8 years and on the fifth year of my marriage, another had to take my lover away from me and my wife left me and the kids and I have to move on for 2years sometime my kids ask me about their mum and often times they ask of her they means me think of her so with that I decided to try and plead with her to come back but all was in vain until one faithful day i met a post where this traditional man called Dr Gikuyu have helped so many person's on serious issues and I decided to give him a try to help me bring my lover back home and believe me I just send a picture of mine to him and that of my wife and after 72hours as he has told me, I saw a car drove into the compound and behold she was my Wife, and She have come to me and the kids with a heart of apology and that is why I am happy to make everyone of you in a similar situation to meet with this great traditional man called Dr Gikuyu to help have your lover back to yourself. You can contact him through his following email address: [dr.gikuyusolutionhome@yahoo.com] Or [dr.gikuyusolutionhome@gmail.com] All thank to you Dr Gikuyu for what you have done in my relationship, and I am sure he will do the same to help all those in sure situation too.

Tamara Barrow said...

I want to share this great testimony to the world on how Dr VOODOO cure me from HSV1&2 with his herbs, I was nervous when i first contact him about the cure for HSV but i decided to give him a try because i was desperate to get cured and be free from HSV. Dr VOODOO prepared the remedy and sent it to me through UPS,which I use just the way Dr VOODOO instructed me and thank God today I am a beneficiary to this cure and I went back to the hospital after 7 days of taking the herbs and I tested HSV1&2 Negative. So I will tell you all who are looking for a cure to his/her HSV1&2 that Dr VOODOO took research before he could finally get the solution to it and a lot of people are benefiting from him right now. He also cured my friend from HPV. Dr VOODOO heals with natural herbs. Please I urge you to contact him now through his email address: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or call and WhatsApp him on +2348140120719. He is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds, DIABETES and so many other infections.

Laura Mildred said...

Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542