Monday, December 6, 2010

You say tomato, I say tomato! Diets in a Nutshell!

This past weekend I had the pleassure of working at the CrossFit Level 1 cert in London! Certs are the best thing in the world! I loved them when I was an attendee, and feel the exact same now that I get to work them! They just make me happy at the same time as I have never been to one of these certs without feeling I was a better athlete when I got back! Certs Rock!

At these certs I sometimes have the pleassure of spending time with some of the best CrossFit athletes in the world. One of the coolest things about CrossFit athletes is that they are easily accessable, and very open about what it is they do, and how they do it! They are the product of a commnity where everyone is equal, and sharing information is the very baseline of their being! It never seizes to amaze me how freely these supernatural people share the secrets of the trade- I hope this open-mindedness and accesability never fades away!

What do you do?

So what do you do when you have some of the worlds most fit athletes there with you? Well, you begin to pick their brain about virtually every subject under the sun, in a permanent pursuit of enlightenment! What better place to turn to?

So I have asked a bunch of these über athletes about their diets, and food habits! What diet do you follow? What do you do on cheat days? Do you zone? Do you eat paleo? Is there a secret that you would like to share when it comes to nutrition?

What really baffeled me was that virtually every single athlete had a different story to tell! Every athlete had a different approach to diets, and they all followed more or less different diets? They had diffrent approaches to cheat days, and food supplements!
How could that possibly be? Is there not one diet that reins supreme above all others? Is there not one diets that has gotten it all right, and once I get onto the program I will have all the answers?
The answer is no! Every single athlete outthere is different, and we all live different lives, and our days look different from athlete to athlete. This means that you have to find a diet that fits your lifestyle, temper, training regimen, goals, current family situation etc. and for every single solitary one of you the end result will be different!

So what I am trying to say is that if there is one thing I have learned from these rolemodel superstars, it is that you have to gain as much knowledge as humanly possible about nutrition ( and never relent or think that you are done ) and after that you have to find a golden path right down the middle that will be your personal solution to the whole nutrition discussion! You can not just read a book, and follow everything that is in this book, and from there on expect to win the Games, and rule supreme! Guess what, nutrition is just like everything else- dependant on the individual! So go be an individual:-)

This guy obviously did his nutrition homework!


Much love

1 comment:

Erika Jonsson said...

Very considerable insert indeed!! I follow a strict zone/paleo diet, and it's easy to believe that what is recommended is the best. But as you write, like everything else even a diet has to adjust to the individual. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!