Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sectionals 2011!



Let me just begin by saying that I know as little and as much as the next guy! The information I have is from what has been posted on the journal, so things can still change, or I could have gotten something completely wrong!



Here is my take on what is going to happen, and how I feel about it?

The setup!
It appears that the sectionals 2011, will be a six week deal where workouts will be released, and the athletes who feel like giving it a try can simply do the workouts, at either an approved affiliate or anywhere else! All they have to do is video tape the effort and submit it to Crossfit! Could it be any easier?
I am sure more information on the standards will be published as we get closer!

How do I feel about that?
To me it is a simple matter really! Last year athletes who could not make it to the sectionals were more or less S#*T out of luck! If they were not there they could not qualify- This year anyone anywhere can compete, and try to make it to the Regionals!
This also means that all the people who spent a fortune on travelling to the sectionals, can save their money and spend it on grass fed protein sources and skins!
The cost of competing has gone down by 90-95%!! Once again that just means that more people will be able to compete, without having to wonder if they can afford to do so!
So basically all you need this year is a camera and internet access and you are good to go (provided you have the equipment needed to do the WoDs) could it be any easier?



The criticism has been that the fantastic atmosphere and cameradery that we experienced at last years sectionals will be lost, and since we dont all have to get together to compete the community as such will suffer!
I hear you! I have to admit however that I dont think the sectionals built anything that was not there already! The cameradery I felt was there long before I walked into the sectionals, and if you show me a video of someone fighting as hard as these athletes di I will feel the exact same way again- the community and the bond between crossfitters worldwide is there already, that is not something that will go away because of one less competition!

I am stoked about this years setup! More people get to compete, at a lesser price, with a lot less paperwork! Any affiliate who wants to set up a sectional can do so, and if you are far off in the boondocks or down range, you can still submit your workouts and make it to the next cut! I just dont see what is not to like about this?

How do you feel? Thoughts, ladies and gentlemen please do share!

Much love

6 comments:

Bear said...

Great idea, it´s becoming expensive for some people! But I guess you better have damn tough buddy as a "judge" standing beside you. Sending in videos can be harder on performance, it´s not like you have videos of all the competitors all the time at a sectionals or regionals for that matter! Imagine to do all the work just to be denied for a failed rep, so have good form people!

Unknown said...

Awesome!
I think this is a better setup - more people can try out.
Fun!

Mads Jacobsen said...

Bear- I agree completely! You had better be sure that every rep counts! I am sure there will be very clear standards presented before the sectionals! But I have to say that I think this is another stroke of brilliance from CrossFit HQ!

Sarah- Amen! You had beter be on one of these tapes:-)

Martin Altemark said...

They will hopefully take into account that if you count wrong or do a failed rep in "for time" type of workout all you did will be in vain, since that missed rep makes your rep count incomplete - better options is AMRAPS and such. But when it comes to programming the games every year has been better and better, so they are definetly not ignorant of details like this.

Looking forward to watching the finals i July! That weekend was so fantastic this year!

I expect some kind of sectionals party at CrossFit Uppsala! If you can't have that comraderie and party elsewhere, then you just have to bring it home! And you're all invited!

marcusherou said...

Well they can always add seconds to a RFT Wod in such a manner that cheating/failing is not an option i.e 10secs per rep or such.

Guess that powerlifting or OLy events might be harder to judge. I mean it's not cool to miss a 120kg c&j due to some rule which was not obvious at the time of the lift. E.g. Press outs and stuff like that.

However a dead lift / BS might be easier to judge offline...

I think it is cool but you know what... It will be a lot harder to get to the regionals since a whole bunch of athletes who could not make it will now make your life difficult. That is really good!

Laura Mildred said...

Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542