Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What do you want?

This is a question I think you should ask yourself before every single Crossfit workout you do! Actually coming to think of it I think you should ask yourself this question every single time you go to work out- whether it is MMA, soccer, figure skating, Crossfit etc. the same question applies! What do you want?

The reason for asking this question is that I have encountered a strange attitude among people who work out, and I just can't seem to work it out.. Here is an example, please let me know if I have gotten it all wrong?

" The WOD for the day is to do 1 push up the first minute, two push ups the second minute, and then add one push up every minute, until you can no longer do the required number of push ups. The twist is that you have to remain standing in the push up position while you wait for the next minute.
Immidiately I see people trying to find ways to modify the push up stance, in order to decrease the workload?"

Now my question is: " Why would you want to do that?"

If you go to workout, my guess is that you do so to improve either technique, strength, or some of the other precursers we use to define fitness- or simply to become better at your sport? If your first thought is how you can get around the job easier, and minimize the work you are doing, then you are actively working against your goal! You will never get better, fitter, faster etc. if your starting point is that you want to cheat!

I bet that if you look at every single role model you ever had, they went the extra mile every single chance they got, so that they could get to the point where they are today! They worked the hardest they possibly could to get better, and they did the work!

The second question you need to ask yourself is: " Who do I cheat?" The answer is simple. You are cheating yourself out of reaping the full benefits of your training. This is true twice, because you will never be able to perform to the top of your potential if you are not training at top intensity!
Secondly you are cheating everyone you compare your scores with- and that might be even worse! What kind of training partner would do that?

There is no secret as to who my idol is when it comes to Crossfit, and I refuse to believe that he got to where he is today by looking for the easy way out.. He did the job, and as a result he inspires hundreds of people on a daily basis today.. By doing the work every time, I hope to become just as inspiring, which is why I try to go the distance in every workout I do! Do you?

I might have gotten it all wrong- please let me know?


The last 3 days I have done the following workouts:

Sunday 080420

Shoulder press 3-3-3-3-3 reps

Post loads to comments

50kg- 55kg- 60kg- 65kg- 70kg

It felt really good, but due to the shoulder injury I did not dare to go heavier, and I fel really good that I got all the reps without feeling any pain:-)

Monday 080421

Back Squat 5-5-5-5-5 reps

Post loads to comments.

80kg- 85kg- 90kg- 95kg- 100kg

In retrospekt I could have gone a bit heavier, the last set went up pretty easy. But I comfort myself knowing that every single rep was legit, ass to the floor..

Tuesday 080422

Clean & Jerk 10 reps
Cindy 5 rounds
Clean & Jerk 10 reps
Cindy 5 rounds
Clean & Jerk 10 reps

Time: 14:30

I did the C&J with 40kg. This was a killer! I was supposed to do weighted pull ups, but felt like trying a workout I found on the NSC site, courtesy of Adrian Bozman of Crossfit SF. Boz you are a genius!

That's all for now

Much love

/Mads

No comments: