Thursday, March 27, 2008

Suck it up!

There are days when things just don't go quite as you planned them- today was one of these days. The trick however is to try to make the best of it anyways, and not let a few distractions draw your attention of the ball!

Today was one of these days where it would have been so easy to sit back, rest and try to come back stronger tomorrow. The problem with that kind of reasoning is that it will only make it harder to actually come back stronger- you need to just suck it up and get on with it!

Todays uphill battle actually began last night when my wonderful son decided that he did not want to sleep, and in the process of getting his point across, kept Jenny and I awake pretty much the entire night- it is my sincere estimate that we got 3,5 hours of sleep! That, my dear friends is nowhere near enough:-)
I then proceeded to get virtually every meal wrong during the day. I managed to get the times between meals all messed up, and when I finally got to eat, it was always just a little of, and not quite an " eat clean diet". I never really sinned, but it was just not quite the premium octane that I strive towards filling my body with.... Like I said- stop whinning and get on with it!

Yesterday was a rest day according to Crossfit HQ, but I always try to work on technique or something that I feel I need to get better at or improve, on the rest days. Lately that focus has been on midline stability- So yesterday I did:

Knees to elbows 1 rep
L-sit 1 rep (kept it for 5 seconds)
L-pull up 1 rep

I did this without letting go of the pull up bar, and super slowly. I did this 10 times, and rested 30 seconds between laps. After that I did L-sit in the olympic rings, for 2 minutes, in intervalls of 10 seconds sit, and 10 seconds off.. This was a lot harder than I thought it would be, but it is definately going to do wonders for my midline stability!

Today I did Helen:

Run 400m
Kettlebell swings 24 kg 21 reps
Pull ups 12 reps

3 laps for time: 10.25

I did the running on the treadmill, which slowed the time a lot since I had to wait for the treadmill to gain speed- but it felt like I had a lot more to give, and I look forward doing it again where I can run outside!

The thing with crossfit is that you need to leave your comfort zone every time you work out, in order to progress. If you never run your head straight into the wall, and meet pukie on a couple of occations, then you will never reach your full potential. So workouts like the one I did today are a thorn in my side, because I never actually gave it my all, since I had to wait for the treadmill to get started and gain momentum.. I'll get back to this topic tomorrow, and give you all my hard earned experiences, and deep thoughts on the subject.. For Now all I can do is accept that today was not my finest hour, but I got the job done.. Until nex time-

Much love

No comments: