Thursday, November 5, 2009

A complete idiot..

is exactly what I felt like after I had completed the WoD I came up with yesterday!

I had just finished the WoD and was more or less lying on the floor trying to recooperate after what had turned out to be a much harder WoD than I had anticipated! So after the initial discomfort had gone by, I asked Richard if the work I had done was legit? He very respectfully informed me that approximately the last 3-4 reps of the HSPU, of the last 3 rounds, were short by something like 4-5cm!
Now it is not like that has never happened to me before, or that I have gone delusional, and think that I could never do anything wrong, or perform reps that were not legit. The problem this time was that I was absolutely, 100%, completely sure that I had been head to ground on every rep!
Somewhere in the mist of fatigue my brain had played a trick on me, and I could have sworn that I hit the ground, when in reality I was still missing a couple of cm. This just goes to show how importatnt it is to have someone to work out with, so that you can get an honest picture of how your workout really went!

I have seen some very impressive stats posted by athletes, who have later not been able to come close to performing the effort that would actually give them scores like that! It may very well be that these athletes are not trying to decieve anyone, but have been working with noone around to tell them when their brain has played tricks on them, the way my brain played tricks on me yesterday!
Have you had the same experience? What happened? Please share!

The WoD?

5 rounds of
5 thrusters 60kg
10 HSPU
15 pull ups


The rule was that the sets had to be unbroken, it you broke a set you would have to do the set from the begining again! The problem however was that after two full unbroken rounds- I had to admit that we would never get out of the gym if the HSPU had to be unbroken! So I decided that if I broke the HSPU I had to do two burpees for every break! Otherwise the sets had to be unbroken!
I dont know what I was thinking, but We got tyhrough it, and I will definately be doing it again:-)

That is it for now

Much love

10 comments:

Sveinbjörn said...

This is so true, if you are doing an exercise alone you much more likely to give your self some slack.
If I am timing a wod or other timed events to post, I always have somebody with me to judge the workout!

Bear said...

My last "Barbara". I only did 33 SU in the first round. I didn´t realize it until I watched the video afterwards. Pretty damn embarassed but I didn´t man up and corrected the result on my blog. Sorry :)

In my earlier CF-days I don´t think I did one legit squat and push up. I did a sub 15 "Angie", yeah right.

Richard said...

You´re not an idiot, it IS hard to work out when your mind is playing tricks on you. And maybe I should´ve told you earlier!? You did great Mads.

Me on the other hand had to do 40 Burpees, remember!?

How about this? A couple of weeks ago I did 5 rounds for time of 21 SDHP and 14 Pull-ups. In the third round I was really tired and asked my training partner how many reps of SDHP I had done. I asked 15?? He said, no 17. After watching the video had done 21 reps at the time. Isn´t that funny? : ) Sometimes it´s the other way around.

Looking forward to our next wod together.

Jon Ivmark said...

Video taping your workout is a good way to find out if you're cutting reps short.

And if you post the videos on your blog it's likely that you will go that extra mile to get each rep legit.

Seems like an awful workout by the way! You are strong my friend!

Mads Jacobsen said...

Sveinbjörn- you are right! I usually try to have someone with me when I do these metcons, since the gym I work at does not allow filming... but soon I will be able to film virtually everything!

Bear- I am happy to hear that even the greats find themselves in the same position at times!

Richard- I am not sure if I would have heard you if you had told me! I was way gone:-)

Jon- I'd just love to be able to film it, and be able to get teh proper critique online for the WoD's, it is a great way to increase motivation:-)
Have you heard more from Jess in Malmö?

Jon Ivmark said...

No word from Jess yet I'm afraid. Hopefully he hasn't forgotten me though.

Mads Jacobsen said...

Jon-jag ska kolla med honom, så vi kan försäkra oss om att han inte glömmer:-)

//M

Mads Jacobsen said...

Jon-jag ska kolla med honom, så vi kan försäkra oss om att han inte glömmer:-)

//M

Jon Ivmark said...

Tack Mads, det uppskattar jag verkligen!

Anonymous said...

Jag tycker om dig! MYCKET!!

/ Ett surt gammalt troll;)