Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Do you stretch?

I know that there are as many theories about the use of stretching as there are theories about who shot Kennedy, but I just wanted to raise the question again, and hear what you all have to say?

I have not done any organized stretching and would not recommend it to anyone who is not notoriously short in ie the pectorial area etc. Instead I would recommend a thorough warm up that takes your entire body through some moves that will move you through the entire ROM of all the larger muscle groups! Doing this has allowed me to maintain a flexibility that I am almost happy with, and when I have not done it, I have been punished with all kinds of troublesome soreness!
To be honest with you- I have often figured that all the rules that apply to my clients probably did not apply to me, and skipped the warm up all together, and I have gotten my ass kicked by reality more times than I care to remember- so these days I warm up the way I always should have!

But I know that a lot of folks are almost religious about their stretch! So what do you do/recommend and why??

I am still in the process of getting back on track, so yesterdays WoD was:

10 deads 60kg
10 push ups
10 rounds
I have not been timing my work this week, since I am still trying to get a clear picture of where I am at, but it felt pretty good!

Then I did:

10 toes to bar
10 kb swings with a 42kg kettlebell
3 rounds
That also felt pretty good, even if I have to admit that my swings leave a lot to be desired!

That will be all for now, I have to go to the gym with my good friend Richard Sandberg now:-)

Until tomorrow

Much love

6 comments:

Bear said...

Sometimes I stretch because it feels good, but if I want to become more flexible I do big movements as you seem to do (all kinds of squats, lunge steps, muscle ups, wind mills, TGU et c).

Martin Altemark said...

Nope.

Jon Ivmark said...

Stretchar så gott som aldrig efter ett pass. Kör dock nästan alltid en hel del dynamisk rörlighetsträning på uppvärmningen. Typ så här: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgkMx7Rhm9I

Richard said...

I guess I have to say no to that. I really suck at stretching even though I know i would benefit in doing it.

mrjling said...

I sometimes stretch, but only in specific situations. PNF stretching of the hip muscles tend to help my back at times. A couple of weeks ago I had an inflammation in the Quad tendon above the kneecap. Classic hardcore stretching made it all go away.
But, generally I recommend DROM and doing functional movements through a full range of motion. For most people thats enough.

Unknown said...

Min form i de olika böjarna är inte perfekt, stela höfter, så jag kör stretching på kvällen, 3x 1.5-2 minuter statisk stretching med pnf.
Behöver bli rörligare i höftböjare, ljumskar och baksida lår.
Ska jag lära ut teknik sen nu framöver så vill jag ha tipptopp rörlighet själv, lev som du lär ;)

Dynamisk rörlighet som uppvärmning gillar jag med Jon.

Har man full rörlighet så behövs det nog inte.
Överkroppen där räcker det gott med att utföra övningarna med full ROM, annat med benen och höfterna.

Har man en svaghet så får man se till att förbättra den.

PS. Tack för tävlingen i helgen Mads, min inspiration och träningsmotivation är på topp nu :) DS.

/Sam