Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Did it again!

Well yesterday was the first day of my new approach towards becoming a better athlete! It was pretty funny actually, kind of the same feeling I have when I begin following someone elses programming for the first time, and don't really know what to expect!

I began the day with a 3 k run- I did'nt time the effort, I just tried to keep a constant pace, that weas always just a little faster than what I was comfortable with. I felt good after I was done, but it was mentally tough to always stay out of my comfort zone. everytime I would begin to get comfortable wit the speed, and my technique, I would increase my speed! I really need more workouts like this one.

The primary focus of yesterday was the afternoon wortkout with Richard. I was going to work up to the heaviest set of 3 rep front squat that I could do without compromising technique after every squat set we did 12 rep of weighted dips. I wanted to be absolutely certain that I owned the lift all the way. The point was never to go as heavy as possible at all costs, but to own the lift.
I worked my way up to a solid set of 3 rep at 100kg- the ladder there looked like this 3 x 60kg, 70kg, 80kg, 90kg and then 3 sets at 100kg.

The trip up to the heaviest lift was a bit of a deja vú thing all together. Everything felt really good, until I looked at the video that Richard was shooting and discovered that my left knee was collapsing in the botton of the lift. Since I have had that problem for the longest time, and have been fighting it in virtually every squat I have done since I discovered the problem, I decided that I needed to approach the fault in a new way if I was going to fix it.
I decided to change my stance and bring my feet in an inch or two! The reward came immidiately- the next set felt rock solid. I could probably have gone heavier but felt pretty happy that I had gotten what I came for, and wanted to end the workout on a good note!
Another thing that felt really good was that the turn in the bottom felt good! I never felt that I lost my elbows, or had to fight to maintain the posture- could it be that the work I have been doing on the side with my posterior chain is finally beginning to pay of?

Question of the day? have you ever had problems with your squat? What have you done to fix them!

Well, yesterday was day 1, today was day 2- tomorrow I will share what I did today with you!

Much love

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well,
i think (with the emphasis on think) that the only problem in my squat is going to low somtimes.
my flexibility covers for my lack of strenght.
like with my ohs my chest is to low cez i'm not strong enought to jkeep it straighter but my shoulders are so flexible that the weight stays up...
Patrik

Bear said...

Not very flexible, trying to fix it with a lot of squats. So far so good, but it´s going fast.