Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Ireland and a Scandinavian challenge...




I just got back from the level 1 cert in Northern Ireland, and once again it was a great experience, and a bunch of fun!




What never seizes to amaze me is how well the people who show up for the level 1 cert move! As soon as we got to do the squats it was obvious that most of the participants already knew their way around the squats. This is fantastic because it gives everyone the chance to clean up their squats and after that start putting some real focus on how to teach others, and how to identify the things that will potentially mess up your front squat/ overhead squat etc.


This time I had the pleassure of getting gto work with Rob Miller who is just an absolute blast, as well as a great lecturer! He has a way of getting the point across in a way that is easy to digest, and remember- I am not sure if he really knows how good a lecturer he really is, and that just might be his trick!


Pat Barber came over as well! The guy is an absolute blast- 23 years old and on fire:-) He is an amazing athlete and I think I picked up some pointers that will help better my performance. We were both part of a one-arm-snatch contest that Sevan set up, and he beat me brutally!


As always Courtney did a fantastic job demo-ing! I am just happy I dont have to hold on to these positions as long as she has to! I mean who would want to spend as much time in the bottom af the squat as she does?


Mike and Lisa Ray.... What do you say? They are worth travelling quite a bit to get to listen to, and thave their trained eye help you inprove your movements.. I hope to get to work with them a lot in the future!


Sevan and Carey- who are the official film crew for CrossFit were there to follow Mikko Salo who was doing his level 1 cert.. These guys are hillarious- and I think they found a soul mate at the local pub. A guy maned Joe took a fancy to the two guys from San Francisco, whom he insisted had to be gay if they were really from San Francisco... gay as in happy or? That never became quite clear.. Please help us out here guys!




I also had the chance to get to hang out with Mikko and his friends Juha and Jami as well! They are a great bunch and we talked about coming over to Finland and train with them! Even if I realize that it would be a long line of defeats- these guys mean business!




We all had a blast trying to interpret the local dialect! Driving in the "wrong side of the street! Pondering the contents of black pudding! If Mads' intake of coffee really was as zone as he said it was? If Pat is really 'that guy'? If Rob really knows every 80s song there is?


The list is long but I will keep it to myself for the time being, and just conclude that it was a blast!




Scandinavian Challenge!




Enough about me now- let's talk about the Scandinavian Challenge!




The event will begin on saturday morning, and have 3 events during the day- we should be done around 17:00-17:30 on the first day- the competition will then continue sunday and should be done around lunch! Since some contestants have long travels home we hope to be done with the entire thing around lunch!




Hmmmmm- log onto the facebook group and the Eleiko site for more information, such as what clothes we recommend? - it should be forth comming tomorrow or the next day:-)




Much love

8 comments:

rackempackem said...

It looks as though you hold on to Mikko pretty tightly on that picture Mads. I would to if i had the opportunity. In fact I'm quiet jealous!

Richard said...

Mest avis är jag på att du träffade Rob Miller. Ända sen jag såg hans pull-up wod på youtube har han varit en av idolerna.

Välkommen hem förresten.

Mads Jacobsen said...

Load- I thought it would be best to hold on for dear life.. I practicallly had to carry the guy! My advice for him was to do functional movements, performed with great intensity and with great variation!
He said He'd think about it:-)

Richard- It was a diffferent Robert Miller-, this one was from Philly- the pull up monster is from Santa Cruz!

Jami said...

Hey Mads,

had a great time at the cert last weekend! Not sure if it was the first L1 that you ran as officially part of HQ crew but you did a great job! It was also interesting to see the difference in teaching between you and the guys from US.

Keep up the good work and let me know if you're coming London way.

Jami

Richard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard said...

Aha, ja du fick ju i alla fall träffa "The World´s Fittest Man" och det är ju alltid nåt ; )

Sarah Elisabeth Lindasdatter Troelsen Krarup said...

Can't wait to hear more about the challenge :-)

Miles said...

Great to see you mate, hope to see you again soon.