Thursday, June 4, 2009

Overhead Squat!

Yesterday was actually a rest day, but since I have been on my ass a couple of days with what I thought was a cold, but later turned out to be a sinus infection(!) I decided to go ahead and do overhead squats yesterday anyway!
My goal was to work my way up to 5 reps at 90kg. I have done 90kg before and felt like it was an achievable goal considering the circumstances- but the funniest thing happened!

As always my wrist hurt a little from the beginning, but no more than it always does, and no shooting pain into my forearm- which was good! So I worked my way up to 80kg, and got the 5 reps without any problems, and here is where the fun starts!
I go to 85kg and do 3 reps, when I suddenly see a woman parking a yoga mat on the floor approximately 50cm in from of me- my immidiate response is a "excuse me" (I still have 85kg hovering above my head) when she answers " don't worry, I'll be done in a second"! I got slightly pissed off and decided to do the last 2 reps, and not give a damn! I finish the set and put the weight down.. A minute later I was still slightly irritated, and she was still on the ground showing her respect to some arcadian sun God, so I decided to lower the weight to 40kg and do 2 more sets of 20 reps!
The funny part is that at first I got pissed at the apparent lack of gym ethics, but after my temper had calmed down, I could'nt help laughing at the fact that we obviously saw two completely different problems in her choise of place for worship, and both were completely oblivious thhe others situation. She was concerned that I would get the space in front of me back as soon as she was done, which she deemed to be in the immidiate future- and I on my side was worried about the 85kg elevated above my head, that gravity would eventually aid in its trip back to the floor!
It just goes to show that there are more than one way to look at these things! Which would you have been more worried about? Spatial awareness or the gravitational issues of dead weight returning to the ground?

Well- it's time to get to work, and after that I'm of to Copenhagen for the level 1 cert:-)

Much love

Mads

2 comments:

Bear said...

Haha, det gäller att vara ödmjuk! Sinnessjukt bra OHS förresten, jag slog nästan volter av att klara 1 rep med 80 kg! Vi ses imorrn!

Richard said...

Fan Mads, 80kg är ju grymt bra. Cheer up!

Själv harvar jag på 50kg, men jag är snart tätt bakom dig och flåsar i nacken : )