Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Frankfurt, and the cert in Ramstein!

Just to get it out of the way- I got another room!
As you could read the last time I was online, I had the bad fortune of getting the worst room in the entire hotel when we were in Frankfurt, but after a short conversation about the unfortunate sounds I could hear in my room, the fact that it was warm as hell and there was no A/C, and having the window was impossible because it would just make the noise even more attrusive, and I would get all the smoke from the people who stood in front of the hotel smoking, right into my room, the receptionist was kind enough to give me another room, that had A/C- faced away from the street, and was bigger.... Needless to say I slept like a child:-)

We spent the next day and a half in Frankfurt walking around town like the tourists we were, enjoying that we had the days off, and that the wheather was beautiful! We also spend some time getting more accuinted with Pat's alternative zone which included bratwurst, hamburgers, diet coke etc. it has to be the bvest thing that has ever happened to me that he introduved and shared his views on diets with me- I lost a couple of kilos while we were on tour, and got some pretty good workouts in as well, so the diet might be working after all! Sure looks like it is working for Pat!
Speaking of Pat- we got him the ugliest belt I have ever seen, but since he does have a thing for belt buckles, I think he just may find a place to use it- it was a dollar sign, in gold that rotates on a silverry background in true hip hop bling style. I only wish I had a picture of his face when he saw it:-)

After Frankfurt we went to Ramstein Airforce base for the cert! The cert was supposed to be on base, but since it had been virtually impossible to get the civilian participants onto the base, the entire thing had been moved to a place Called Colluseum just of base- a huge effort had been put into this cert by Jason and Brian who were the ones who had put the whole thing together, and I am truly grateful for their effort, the cert was fantastic! More on that in a second!

We got onto base and, after Jason had shown us where we would be staying we went to a place called Chilli's to get some more education on the Pat Sherwood diet (loved it) and some actual food! While we were eating Jason came by and asked if we wanted to get a workout in before the cert at their on base box? Of course we all jumped at the chance to see their box and get to workout.
The box was part of a bigger gym, but they had gotten it really nice with plexiglass on the walls for the hand stands, and lifting stations that they had built themselves.
While Pat and Lisa went for the WoD called Ramstein, Klaus decided to do squats and I went for the heay deads in sets of 3.. I got to 355lbs and was pretty happy with my effort when Pat walked up after doing the Wod with Lisa and decides to do a set of 10 at 355 lbs... The man is a freak! I called it a day:-)

The cert was an absolute blast- people were super enthusiastic, and very willing to take in teh information, and standards on the movements, besides being good movers from the beginning! It is always fantastic to see people who move well from the begining, still try to rafine their movements and always striving for a deeper understanding- if the people in Ramstein are in any way an indication of where CrossFit in Europe is going- then we should all feel comfortable knowing that we are on the right path!
Thank you for a great cert!

After that we all went back to frankfurt to stay at a hotel near the airport the last night before we all flew out on monday morning.
At our last dinner together Klaus once again displayed his ability to make us all laugh until we were in tears- the man does not even try to be funny, he just hits a nerve that has everyone laughing. He did a couple of times during the week, and at this dinner the thing that knocked us all out was when he went to work on Lisa and Pat's pronounciation of the word Bamberg- Nicole Caroll would have been proud, cause he would not relent:-) Good on you brother- I look forward to more certs with Klaus!

Now I am back in Stockholm working and working out! Todays WoD was "Eva".. and once again I was reminded why I hate to work out at a globo gym!
After my third round and my fourth running and the kettlebell swings, I came back into the gym, only to find that some rocket scientist had taken the pull up bar, and had no intention of returning it, or letting me get inbetweento do my pull ups!
I decided to go get my rings and do the rest of the WoD with ring Rows (feet on a box) instead of pull ups, and then just time that- let me just share the fact that it did not get easier!

Part one- 3 full rounds, the run and the kettlebell swings 28:44 min
part two- the remainder with ring rows instead of pull ups 10:13 min

What really pisses me off is that I felt pretty good when I was broken off by the bicep curling moron! Of course it was hard, but I really felt like I had it in the bag... well well we prepare for the unknown and the unknowable:-)

For now this will have to do! Until next time..

Much love

Mads

4 comments:

Bear said...

Jag trivs inte i maskingym, funkar inte.

Richard said...

Nope, inte jag heller, det suger verkligen.

Jag försökte mig på Eva idag på SATS Hötorget, men utan KB, ett bra pullup-räcke och löparbanden på andra sidan gymmet så blev det svårt eller rent av omöjligt.

Anonymous said...

Globo gym suger! och bicep fantasterna som jämt är i vägen är inte heller mina favoriter... Hmmm hur löser vi det?

Jag vet- ett riktigt Crossfit gym!

//M

Anonymous said...

Mads,
meeting you in person and having you as one of the trainers was a great experience, thank you very much. Man, you know how to share positive vibes, or, to put it in your own words: super-cool! :)
I share your thoughts about the European CrossFit community growing stronger, and I love it.
Be well!