Friday, June 12, 2009

Without further ado...

....Lately have been having a tendency to let my knees roll in when I initiated my acent on my squats! So when it was time to do the squats yesterday I thought I'd use the WoD to work on some technique.
I worked my way up to 135kg pretty fast and then proceeded to do 10 lifts at 135kg, monitoring how my knees moved, and I am happy to say that the last 4 lifts looked really good!
It is funny how easy it is to get caught up in improving PR's that you forget to focus on getting the technique right, and eventually it all comes around and bites you in the ass, when your lack of technique is then what is keeping you from improving on your PR!
When we were in Denmark at Butchers Lab, for the level 1 cert I did a WoD consisting of:

OHS 50kg
HSPU
9/1- 8/2- 7/3- 6/4 you et the picture of opposing latters!

Martin Altemark who was at the cert along with Björn "Bear" Uddenfelt pointed out to me that I had a tendency to let my knees roll inwards on the OHS- so I began looking for it when we I got home, and sure enough. It may very well be that the fatique in the upper back and shoulders from the HSPU's were taking their toll on me in the OHS, and I felt like I had to "catch" the lift all the time- but I definately had a tendency to roll inwards- so this was a great chance to work on brushing out that weakness- and hopefully that will help improve my squats in the future.. Thanks for the help guys!
Btw- these guys are super strict on technique, and great natural movers, so if you are ever in Uppsala make sure to stop by CrossFit Uppsala and have Martin take a look at your form, or if you are in the Gävle area hit Björn up for a few pointers. It is always nice to have a new set of eyes look at what you are doing, as long as these eyes are actually capable og distinguining between good and bad movement!

For now- much love

Mads

3 comments:

Martin Altemark said...

Haha, mina ögon är dock bättre än mitt eget rörelsemönster - jag har precis samma problem (knän inåt efter vändning). Måste, måste, måste också ta tag i det (lätt att glömma bort det...)

Men tack för dom vänliga orden!

Bear said...

Tackar från mig med! Jag finns även i Uppsala-trakten, men alldeles riktigt, mest Gävle i sommar :)

Jag kan ha fel, men det är väl ett problem med abduktorerna (typ rövmuskeln gluteus medius) som gör att knäna går innåt. Detta märks extra tydligt vid One legged squats aka Pistols och är något som jag också kämpar med.

Martin Altemark said...

Men nu utelämnar du väl ändå pass! Kom igen, skriv av dig. Lätta hjärtat!